from the aqua tea kettle, whistling me into the kitchen to brew my green tea.
from my breath as i walked to the mailbox. it’s 18 degrees.
from the hot bath i drew this morning. the perfect excuse to break into my Trader Joe’s Grapefruit & Chamomille Salt Scrub.
on the trees like a Currier & Ives print
writing poetry on the the ground
in my eyes reflecting
a real-life snowglobe
i love winter.
it’s true. in 5-7 days, it will be Christmas again! in the past couple of days, i have ordered a bunch of stuff online. not all for me, mind you. a baby shower present for my niece, stuff for care-packages to send to my sisters and mom, and well, ok, some stuff for me.
so here’s what i’ve been up to, internet shopping speaking:
you readers no doubt have heard of Amazon and Old Navy, but you must check out the other sites as well. lots of fun stuff!
what are your favorite online shopping haunts?
here it is. the obligatory “new year’s post”. the time to reveal resolutions and discuss the past year. to tell you the truth, the thought of sifting through the year overwhelms and bores me. but i think i owe it to 2008. so here goes: 2008, in bullet highlights.
- gave up conventional cosmetic products…now it’s all natural skincare, haircare, and no makeup.
- i read more than i have in a long time. i averaged about 2-3 books a month. my favorite books of the year were The Kite Runner, Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, The Jane Austen Bookclub, The Art of Racing in the Rain, Searching for God Knows What, and all of the Twilight books (ok. go ahead and judge me. but they totally rocked!)
- struggled a lot on the spiritual level, but knew only grace and love from my Savior.
- saw Over the Rhine in concert TWICE. awesome.
- scored lots of cool old stuff. what can i say…i’m a junk junkie. my parents’ barn-o-treasures is Mecca.
- learned to appreciate who i am a bit more.
- saw some good movies (some old, some new). my favorites: Dark Knight, Amelie, Lars and the Real Girl, Interview With the Vampire, Little Miss Sunshine, and August Rush.
- discovered some awesome bands: Muse, Iron and Wine, Bright Eyes, and The Killers, to name a few.
- drank lots of spinach smoothies. mmmm.
- dog-sat for some very cool dogs: westies, poodle, lab, beagle. actually, 9 different dogs in all. thankfully not at the same time.
- switched to Crest toothpaste.
and here’s what i am looking forward to in 2009:
- travel to Seattle with my mom
- read more!
- the birth of my fourth niece/nephew
- yummy, healthy food
- lifting weights and running
- spend more time with my family
- paint more canvases
- take more pictures
- create masterpieces
- eat more chocolate…dark chocolate that is.
- remember to take my multivitamins
- Love God
- live happily ever after
what about you?
there is something beautiful about life when you can spill nearly 2 months worth of recycling in the parking lot on a windy day…and laugh about it. such was my life today.
i am convinced that snow is magic fairy dust. it falls on me, and i am transformed.
“Flightless Bird, American Mouth” by Iron & Wine is a new favorite of mine.
Dracula (the book) rocks!!!
i leave tomorrow morning for my parents’…yet again.
off to drink hot green tea and watch Veronica Mars (season 1)
back to work for a couple days, and then off again for another week or so to celebrate Christmas for the 4th time. the fun never ends…i hope not anyway.
i wish i had something more insightful and enlightening to share, but alas, i’ve got a terribly severe case of writer’s block…so i fear you’ll just have to listen to my typo-babble:
i desperately need some snow!
eating waaay too many m&m cookies that someone brought into the office.
had a super time with my family…and looking forward to seeing them again this weekend.
homemade peppermint bark ROCKS!
ok…that’s all i got. sorry.
i had every intention of painting tonight, until, due to an inspired change of course, i realized i did not have enough red paint. i did, however, get the drawing part done. looks like a trip to the art supply store is a must this week. and then i shall complete my masterpiece: a japanese cherry tree on canvas -a Christmas gift for my dear sister. (don’t worry, she doesn’t read this blog, and if she did, she already knows what she’s getting.)
so, instead of painting, i’m doing laundry and listening to Bob Dylan.
won’t be working much this week. thank goodness, as i have much to get done before i head to my parents’ next week. i can hardly believe Christmas is just over a week away. when i was a little girl it seemed as though it would be forever until Christmas. but now the time just runs through my fingers.
forgot to mention i had the most delightful birthday. went to a fabulous pub for a pint and some shepherd’s pie. amazing.
well now, must run down and put my clothes in the dryer, have some supper, and perhaps another cup of green tea. oh, and watch some good old movies: Holiday and Christmas in Connecticut. love them!
good night, friends.
it’s friday night and i prefer to be at home. what a loser i am…well, a happy loser, anyway.
i went grocery shopping this afternoon, but by 4:00, i was ready to shut down and curl up in the fetal position. i do not like dealing with the holiday shopping crowds. i grabbed some Chinese take-out, tuned into the classical radio station, and headed home.
now i’m enjoying a cup of hot green tea and some Christmas music.
i need to finish my Christmas cards and wrap some presents, so that’s probably what i’ll work on the rest of the night.
what about you? how are you enjoying this cold Friday night?